Apple cakes make me think of fall, my favorite season. So with summer quickly sneaking up on us in Arizona, I needed a break from thinking about the 100 degree temps. Apple cake has been a constant in my life, but mostly in the form of German Apple cake. This cake smelled similar but so different at the same time. The Apple really came through, but had the addition of different spices and citrus.
This is one of the cakes I had baked and then sat on the notes for a couple of weeks before writing this post. Man, it’s hard to write a post later rather then right after I make it. Nonetheless, this cake came out beautiful and the crumble that topped this cake is very memorable!
Let’s get into this!
Fresh Apple Cake
- This cake came out so moist! More moist then the German Apple I have had since childhood, which is saying a lot!
- The spices in this cake were a fantastic addition to this cake, and made it stand out from other apple cakes I’ve had in the past. Cardamom, cinnamon, lemon zest and buttermilk all added a depth of flavor and scent.
Honey Sour Cream Buttercream
- The base of this buttercream is Swiss meringue buttercream, so like….how could any part of this be wrong?!
- Cardamom added another depth of flavor and also complimented the cake by having something in common without being overbearing.
- I didn’t know how adding the sour cream to the smb would turn out, but I had faith in Tessa and added it anyways and it turned out amazing! Added to the already creamyness of the buttercream and also helped cut the sweetness by giving something sour/tart.
Skillet Oat Crumble
- I love a good crumble, granola, oat topping. My favorite Apple pie isn’t one with a double crust; give me a spiced oat topping and I’m a happy girl!
- The nuts were perfect with this! Apples, spice and nuts are a match made in heaven so it totally makes sense. Tessa says that they are optional but in my opinion they aren’t.
- So simple and quick to throw together! I would keep this recipe to the side and make it just for a topping for yogurt or ice cream!
Overall, this cake is a winner! Use it to remind you of how wonderful fall is or as a replacement for Apple pie this 4th of July!