No, it’s not my birthday…it’s the title of this recipe! And on my birthday, if I were a cake person, I would totally want this cake!
It was honestly so fun to make. Easy, straight forward and I got to use sprinkles….like what more would you want when making a cake?
Prior to her recipes, Tessa writes a little background on each one. Here’s a bit of her story on this cake. “Imagine an heirloom tin full of recipe cards that have been passed down from generation to generation. Filed under “Desserts,” there is a batter-splattered card that is well worn and loved. This card has been used for dozens of birthdays and simple celebrations, although the recipe itself is probably already committed to memory. I personally don’t have such a recipe box”. You know, in a way I can relate. Yes, I have wonderful things passed down to me from my mom. And I know my grandmothers were fantastic bakers, but their recipes are lost to me.
I am inspired by Tessa! She went on to write that this recipe she wants passed down, this is the start to her own tin! It is a beautiful recipe!
So. Let’s break this down.
- I know I said this before, but this batter was just so beautiful! Creamy, golden, and luscious with the addition of just egg yolks.
- It filled the whole house with that sweet scent you want it to be filled with when you’re having company over.
- It smelled even better while working with it; cutting and stacking it.
- It was so soft and moist. Nothing is worse then a dry cake, am I right?!
- So incredibly simple!
- Fudge. Frosting. Need I say more??
- So. Easy. To make. Which seems to be a recurring theme here.
- Smooth! And SO creamy!
- It reminded me of my childhood. When I would make buttercream as a kid, American buttercream was all I knew. It’s what my mom taught me! (Hi mom! Ily)
- Pro tip: I would recommend making the buttercream fresh for icing this cake. I made it the night before and stuck it in the fridge, and while I worked my magic to bring it back to the fluffy icing it was the night before I had to add more heavy cream to really bring it back to its glory.
- I would make this cake again for someone’s birthday or if I just have an itch for baking and decorating a cake.
- I got to use sprinkles! The recipe even recommended it!